The Broadway Park West redevelopment plan will transform a Lower Town property into a stunning mixed-use development with 90+ condos along the Huron River. Exciting news for Ann Arbor! The Broadway Park West redevelopment will bring 7 acres of public space and 7 acres of commercial development to Lower Town Ann Arbor, including 90+ condominiums and a hotel along the Huron River.
Presented to the city officials in 2020 by the Detroit-based Roxbury Group, the plan for the Broadway Park West Condominiums in Ann Arbor includes four six-story buildings with 96 condominiums, a nine-story hotel with 148 rooms, a riverfront restaurant, commercial spaces, public green areas, walking trails, an event pavilion, ice skating ribbon, and more.
The public space will be accessible throughout the year and will open in early 2024. Broadway Park West will be the first public space in Ann Arbor to be developed and operated by non-profit Lower Town Conservancy, highlighting the collaborative efforts of the public, private, and philanthropic sectors in achieving community goals.
“The Lower Town Riverfront Conservancy is extremely grateful for the strong support it has received both from the State of Michigan and our private donors toward the development of this long-awaited public space and trail project for the Ann Arbor community.”
– Marie Klopf, president of The Lower Town Riverfront Conservancy
The transformation of the former Michigan Consolidated Gas Company facility into a world-class public space with housing and commercial development is the largest brownfield redevelopment in Washtenaw County history, adding historical significance to this project. An overview of the project is as follows.
- The centerpiece of the 7-acre public space
- Large elliptical green space provides a flexible setting for daily use – passive recreation activities as well as special events
- Easily accessible from River Street and the riverfront trail
The Riverfront Trail
- Public access to approximately 1,200 feet of Huron River frontage, with three points of embarkation to the water
- A critical connection point to the City’s Treeline Trail, Washtenaw County’s Border to Border Trail system, as well as the State’s Iron Belle Trail
Pavilion, Ribbon, and Footbridge
- 9,000 SF Pavilion serves as a year-round community space and gathering facility
- The pavilion lawn supports concerts and other performances, arts, and cultural events
- Ice ribbon and water feature activates open space all year long
- A new footbridge facilitates community connectivity to Argo Cascades and a riverfront trail
Additional Community Benefits
- The entire public space, including Riverfront Trail, is fully ADA accessible
- $2M contribution to the Ann Arbor Affordable Housing Fund or will provide up to 20 units of affordable housing on-site
- The pavilion will provide a dedicated venue for community gatherings cultural activities, and performances
- The project dedicates half of its acreage for perpetual public access in the heart of Ann Arbor’s historically African-American neighborhood
- On-site trail system completes link to provide access to all of Washtenaw County through Border 2 Border trail
- Creating 3 points of entry to the River in the heart of the City vastly expands public access to the waterfront for fishing, non-motorized boating, and educational pursuits
- The overall development will create over 300 above-minimum-wage jobs in hospitality, retail, and operations, all of which provide opportunities for continued career advancement
At the heart of Broadway Park West lies “The Commons,” a 2-acre, tree-lined, elliptical lawn. The Commons will seamlessly connect the park to Washtenaw County’s border-to-border trail system, providing access to endless opportunities for exploration to those living nearby.
The Roxbury Group is in the process of adding 96 new condominium units to Broadway Park West. Since these units are a new development, they will offer modern amenities, energy-efficient features, and contemporary designs compared to other condominiums in the area. The neighborhood will be dynamic and walkable since this is a mixed-use development with the condos existing alongside retail and commercial spaces.