There is so much we can do to reduce our carbon footprint, especially inside our homes.
Here are 10 EARTH friendly tips as we celebrate Earth Day on Tuesday, April 22:
1. Make your home more airtight.
2. Use smart power strips in high-service areas like your home office, garage and kitchen.
3. Replace your energy-inefficient refrigerator with an upgrade.
4. Water deeply but infrequently. Grasses do best when the whole root zone is soaked, and then dries out between waterings.
5. Change those light bulbs. New LED light bulbs uses one-quarter the electricity and lasts for decades.
6. Wash clothes in cold water. They get just as clean with todays detergents. Hot water washes use five times the energy and create five times the emissions.
7. Drive smarter. Maintain proper tire air pressure, drive 65 instead of 75, avoid unnecessary idling and cut your annual carbon emissions up to 7 percent.
8. Eat less meat, especially beef. Cattle turns out to be a major contributor to climate change, so cutting down on meat can be a healthy way to cut your carbon.
9. Replace disposable products with reusable ones (e.g. razors, food storage, batteries, coffee filters, furnace or air conditioner filters).
10. Reduce and recycle. Focus on the important things in life. Stop and smell the flowers. Well, first go plant them.